60 MB Tapes (was Re: AT&T 630 "dmd"... )

Paul De Bra debra at alice.UUCP
Tue Aug 1 00:39:05 AEST 1989

In article <15521 at watdragon.waterloo.edu> hjespersen at trillium.waterloo.edu (Hans Jespersen) writes:
}...
}I think you are mixing up the 60 MB tapes with
}the older 23 MB tapes ( from the 3B2/400 or XM ). To my knowledge the
}23 MB tapes were the only cartridge tapes that needed to be formatted
}ahead of time. I KNOW that I have written a 60 MB tape on a 3B2/600
}and read it successfully on a 6386. In fact, it was the first thing I
}tried once I got my hands on a tape drive for the 6386. ( this was using
}cpio )

Oops, our 3B2 is a 3B2/400 indeed, so it has the older 23MB tape drives.
Nice to hear that newer 3B's have compatible drives. (This doesn't help
us though since we have to live with an old 3B.)

Paul.