Targa board images under X ?

Rick Chimera carm at umd5.umd.edu
Wed Aug 30 23:44:10 AEST 1989

Is anyone out there familiar with what one would need to do in order
to have the X Window System be able to display video images from the
Targa 16 (or similar) board ?  I have been able to track down a generic
Unix SysV driver for the Targa board, and now I have to figure out whether
it is possible to have that driver interact with X in a nice way to have
things work "as one would naturally expect."  Or perhaps some ideas on how
I would have to modify such a generic driver to have it work thusly with X.

Some of my questions include:
	-How does one put the targa controlled image into an X window?

	-When I resize, do I clip and get empty spaces if I resize such that
		the window is not exactly the same size as the default targa
		image or can the targa image be scaled as well?

	-Will X be able to obscure the targa window if another window is
		brought on top of the targa window or does targa do nasty
		hardware/monitor things that X won't be able to override
		or handle "normally"?

Typical answers I might expect would be: "It's straightforward, here's
how..", "the targa image is one size and not scalable so clipping and
empty spaces will occur if you don't control the size of the X window
explicitly by the program", and "Since it's in an X window per question
one, of course things get handled normally".

Any comment/help large or small would be greatly appreciated.  Persons
with similar interests but no answers are also welcome to send me a
note.

				Rick Chimera