Sys V inode bug

Stephen J. Friedl friedl at vsi.COM
Sat Aug 12 13:06:56 AEST 1989

In article <2592 at laidbak.UUCP>, botton at laidbak.UUCP (Brian D. Botton) writes:
>  More than once I've run fsck after a
> crash and had it claim that the file systems are okay.  Then I'll cd into
> a directory, do an ls, and get the following (or at least close to this):
>
> 	ls: . not found
>
>   That's right, a directory without . and .. :-(.  Now maybe I'm expecting
> too much, but I really think fsck should be able to do better than this.

For what it's worth, Sys V fsck advertises that it doesn't look for
this (although IMHO they certainly should).   "It's not a bug, it's
a feature".

     Steve

--
Stephen J. Friedl / V-Systems, Inc.  /  Santa Ana, CA  / +1 714 545 6442
3B2-kind-of-guy   / {attmail uunet}!vsi!{bang!}friedl  /  friedl at vsi.com

"My new bestseller, _Teach_Yourself_to_Read_, is now available everywhere" -me