ICUS UnixPC hard disk mod.

JIM PICKERING jrp at rducky
Wed Aug 2 13:44:18 AEST 1989

I just completed Lenny and Gil's modifications to add the second drive
on my 3B1.  Worked fine on the first try.  Great job guys.  I'll get to
the questionaire another evening.

I had a parts 7300 I bought some time ago and used the drive from it.
It is a Miniscribe 3425 (20MB) and did not have any drive select jumpers but
a set of dip switches.  Rather than guess which ones to set, I just made a
cable with a twist ala IBM PC's (lines 25-29), and it worked!  I also found
that if the second drive is powered down and the computer is not, the kernal
is not happy.  Gotta disconnect the data/address lines too.

The whole project took all day, but I also gave it a thorough cleaning
(there were enough dust bunnies to weave a rug and the case was quite
yellowed ... evil nicotine and grunge) and installed a 120v fan (seems
quieter than the 12v).  Couldn't find a source for a battery and holder,
so I'm stuck with a dead battery.  Next time, as I have promised myself
to open the box at least once every 6 months to blow out the dust.

Thanks again Lenny and Gil.  It is great to have some more disk space.
Now if I could only afford 2 of those 150MB CDC half height drives which
will fit in the case ...

jim

--
Jim Pickering c/o Technical Solutions	|| (north) ..csustan!polyslo!rducky!jrp
P.O. Box 1045				|| (south) ..sdsu!polyslo!rducky!jrp