3b1 real time clock runs fast

Ralph Allas Jr ralph at jolnet.ORPK.IL.US
Fri Feb 10 18:03:01 AEST 1989

In article <671 at gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM> mrk at gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM (Michael R. Kesti) writes:
>I have found that my 3b1's real time clock gains about a minute per week, and
>was wondering if any of you hardware types out there might be able to steer
>me toward a trim cap or something to correct this annoying, if not monumental,
>problem.
>
>Thanks.
>
>--
>Michael Kesti  Grass Valley Group, Inc. | "Like one and one don't make two,
>    @gvgspd.GVG.TEK.COM                 |  one and one make one."
>    !tektronix!gvgpsa!gvgspd!mrk        |         - The Who, Bargain

 On my Unix-pc, there is a file /etc/clockupd.wk that supposedly takes care
of that problem with the clock.  I never leave my machine on for a week at a
time, so I haven't yet noticed if it actually is off by a minute.
 If this file does exist on your machine, then there should also be an entry
in /usr/lib/crontab that looks like this:
0 3 * * * 0 /bin/su root % /etc/clockupd.wk > /dev/null

 This will make the /etc/clockupd.wk run every sunday at 3:00am.

Now, I don't know exactly what this file will do, but this is what it looks
like. (maybe it is the reason the machine is off a minute after a week)

#sccs   "@(#)fndetc:clockupd.wk 1.7"
# Write to the hardware clock every Sunday morning to accomodate
# synchronization  of time between s/w and h/w clock in case day light
# saving time is being used. Wait a minute to prevent recursion.
# Note: backslash needed to avoid SCCS conflict

sleep 60
date `date +%m%d%H\%M`

 I hope this helps you in some way...
 -Ralph