Broke Hard Disk on 7300 :-(

Dale Lancaster dale at convex1.uucp
Tue Feb 21 11:55:06 AEST 1989

I have a problem and need some good ideas from some bright people
to resolve it.  I rebooted my system from a normal running state
by '/etc/shutdown'ing it and then turning off power and then 2 minutes
later, rebooting by power on.  It did not boot, it just gave me
lots of white blocks on the screen.  Here are the symptoms and hope
someone has a good idea:

	-- The hard disk will spin up at initial boot time and I can hear
	the heads relocating themselves.  But after the heads are done,
	the disk spins down and the rest of the machine continues on.
	I do know that this happens because I can hear it and I also
	cycle power on it very quickly after it has been "running" for
	awhile and can hear the disk spinning up from scratch again.

	-- None of the diagnostics for the hard disk pass.  I get
	"Status = 4".

	-- I swapped the disk with another one from another 7300 and
	the system boots fine.

	-- I accidentally "shorted" a wire that I was testing power on
	and the disk (NOT THE SYSTEM) began spinning up and it stayed on.
	However, when running diagnostics, the diags could not read the
	disk, but it could recal it.

	-- I had this problem once before, but I just turned the system
	off over night and rebooted in the morning and the system came up.
	I tried this again, but a full moon must not have been out because
	it didn't work.

thanks in advanced for any ideas.  I am hoping that I don't need a new
disk.

dale lancaster.
fancy signature under construction :-)