3b1 dissassembler patches

John Buck john at polyof.UUCP
Sat Feb 4 05:15:35 AEST 1989

In article <1636 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, alex at umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:

> 	I'm sending the latest patches for the 3b1 dissassembler to
> comp.sources.misc...
> 	do automatic lookup of shared library addresses, so that you can
> dissassemble stipped files.
> 	make "dis -lc(malloc.o)" work.
> 	There is also a -k flag, that will attempt to resolve varoius kernal
> addresses, includeing the u structure. unfortunely there are still problems
> dealing with relocatable symbols, so this is of dubious value.
> Alex Crain
> Systems Programmer			alex at umbc3.umbc.edu
> Univ Md Baltimore County		nerwin!alex at umbc3.umbc.edu (NEW DOMAIN)

Distributing (or using) such a utility in the manner illustrated above
sounds like a blatant violation of your UNIX PC license:

AT&T UNIX PC System Software Book (the one with the disks in it)
Page 2/3
"LIMITED USE SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT

THIS CARD CONTAINS THE AT&T INFORMATION SYSTEMS, INC. ("AT&T-IS")
LIMITED USE SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT.

YOU SHOULD READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THIS LICENSE BEFORE YOU
OPEN THE SEALS ON THE PACKAGES CONTAINING THE DISKETTE AND THE
DOCUMENTATION.  ONCE YOU HAVE READ THIS LICENSE AGREEMENT AND AGREE TO ITS
TERMS, YOU MAY OPEN THE SEALED ENVELOPE... BY OPENING THE SEAL, YOU SHOW YOUR
ACCEPTANCE OF THE TERMS OF THIS LIMITED USE SOFTWARE LICENSE
AGREEMENT...
1. TITLE AND LICENSE GRANT
	You agree to use your best efforts to see that any user of the
SOFTWARE licensed hereunder complies with the terms and conditions of this
Agreement and refrains from taking any steps, such as reverse
assembly or reverse compilation, to derive a source code equivalent
of the software.
..."

I have noticed a few postings if so-called "reverse assembled" sources
float by.  These postings violate the Unix PC license.

I am not saying the disassembler violates the license, but the poster
above gave examples of things that DO violate the license.

I'd check with your legal department to make sure what you are doing
is legal...