set 7300 modem to auto-answer

Ralph Allas Jr ralph at jolnet.ORPK.IL.US
Fri Feb 10 17:37:26 AEST 1989

In article <859 at ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> kit at falstaf.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Kit Chow, x3039) writes:

>Can anyone tell me how I can set the internal modem on the 7300
>to auto-answer?
>
>Thanx in advance

 You should log in as "install" and go to HARDWARE SETUP.  From there, you
can set up the obm, On-Board-Modem.  Tell the form what line you have a line
on, and what line you have a phone on, etc...  From there, the system should
update your /etc/inittab so that a getty will be fired up on ph0 when the
system boots up.  This should allow your modem to auto-answer.

Note:  There should be a line in /etc/inittab that looks like so:
ph0:2:respawn:/etc/getty ph0 1200

It should not look like so:
:ph0:2:respawn:/etc/getty ph0 1200

 The ':' at the begging of the line is like a remark.
The note at the top of /etc/inittab says not to edit this file because it
is program-modified.  I have installed a different getty on my Unix-pc for
the RS-232 port, and it works fine.  I had to edit /etc/inittab with 'vi',
but I had some advice before doing so.

-Ralph
 I hope this helps...