UNIX-PC Floating point weirdness

Dave Brower daveb at gonzo.UUCP
Sat Feb 11 14:53:19 AEST 1989

In article <129 at bsadrc.UUCP> carver at bsadrc.UUCP (Darrel R. Carver) writes:
>Now, compiling this program (call it ftest), I get this error:

>If I change line 18 to
>
>18>|		f_return->ret_val = a;
>18x|		return(a);
>
>It compiles, no problem.  I do not consider the second form
>acceptable.  In addition some of the code I have from various sources
>will do the type of assignments in the example.
>
>I can usually go around this by breaking down the subexpression, but
>it is annoying.  Any comments? flames?

Congratulations, you are now entering hacker/guru-hood in that you have
found a compiler bug and figured out an ugly but passable workaround.
With a 3b1, you are out of luck getting a fix from the vendor, so you
need to use form B or bust.

If you want a supported compiler, use gcc (:-(. sometimes, others :-).

-dB
--
If life was like the movies, the music would match the picture.

{sun,mtxinu,hoptoad}!rtech!gonzo!daveb		daveb at gonzo.uucp