HoneyDanBer UUCP uucico problem (bug?)

Dave Yearke dgy at sigmast.UUCP
Mon Feb 20 13:05:28 AEST 1989

In article <133 at aucis.UUCP> bnick at aucis.UUCP (Bill Nickless) writes:
>We found an interesting problem with our AT&T 3B2 version of HoneyDanBer
>uucico:
>
>There are two modems on our machine we use for dialing out.  They are
>connected as follows:
>
>tty44: OmniTel 3/12/2400 bps Hayes-compatible modem
>tty43: AT&T 2212c 3/1200 bps modem
> [...]
>When tty44 is busy (login, another uucp transfer) uucico will use tty43 at
>1200 bps.  It's only when it's failed at tty44 @ 2400 bps that it tries
>tty43 @ 2400 bps.

I have noticed a similar problem:  We have two modems also, a 1200/2400 and
a 1200.  One of the machines we connect to has 3 modems, a 2400 only and two
1200 onlys.  I have three entries in my Systems file, one for each number.
I usually want to use the 2400 modem on the remote machine first, so that
one is first in the Systems file.  This is best illustrated as:

Devices File:
ACU tty26,M - 2400 modema
ACU tty26,M - 1200 modema
ACU tty27   - 1200 modemb

Systems File:
alpha ACU 2400 555-1212 (rest of stuff omitted)
alpha ACU 1200 555-1213 (rest of stuff omitted)
alpha ACU 1200 555-1214 (rest of stuff omitted)

uucico will try the first number at 2400 using "modema".  If it is busy, it
will try the second number in the list using "modema", BUT IT IS STILL TALKING
TO THE MODEM AT 2400!!  The same thing happens with the third number, then
it switches to "modemb" and retries the third number at 1200.

The AT&T hotline people, who are usually on top of things, have never heard of
this happening.  Can anyone add to these problems?

--
		Dave Yearke, Sigma Systems Technology, Inc.
		   5813 Main St, Williamsville, NY 14221