How do I add a 3 1/2" Floppy Drive to my AT&T PC-6300 PLUS?

Hans Jespersen hjespers at vpk4.UUCP
Wed Feb 8 00:44:25 AEST 1989

In article <5391 at homxc.ATT.COM> marv at homxc.ATT.COM (MR. PORSCHE) writes:
>       ribbon cable connected from the PC to the 1.2 Floppy Drive,
>       with an "edge" connector.  The ribbon cable has a "twist" in
>       the middle and works fine in the old configuration.
>       The problem is, I don't know how to connect the new drive
>       and make it function as Drive B:.  First I moved the power
>       and ribbon edge connector to the new drive.  The LED on the
>       front of the new drive remained lit.  The drive accepted a
>       small floppy but couldn't format it and gave me an error
>       message.  I received no instructions with the new drive, and
>       am in dire need of help.

It seems like most of the new WGS products are now comming with
3.5" drives as drive A: so this will be a common question in the
future. The biggest problem is finding a valid ribbon cable since
all the 3.5" floppies I have seen require a "pin" connector rather
than the "edge" connectors used on 5 1/4" drives. WGS machines
with 3.5" drives as A: come with a ribbon cable containing one
"pin" connector after the twist (A:) and an edge connector before
the twist (B:). There are dip switches to change the A: drive
but I haven't had luck  with this. The best solution is to buy
the proper connectors and punch them down beside the old ones.

Anyway, assuming that your connectors are ok, make sure that the
terminator jumper is set _only_ on the the last drive (ie B:).
Typically this jumper is labeled TM and on the 5 1/4 Matshushitas
it in on the top of the unit. On the 3.5" it may be on the right
hand side (while looking at the front, yes _under_ the rail :-)