9 track storage capacity

Alex Latzko latzko at elbereth.rutgers.edu
Sat Feb 4 04:16:13 AEST 1989

In article <97 at isg300.UUCP> rwo0 at isg300.UUCP (Roger W. Otterson) writes:

> I have recently been assigned the duty of backing up our system.
> We have a 3b2/522 w/ (6) 322mb SCSI drives.  Needless to say it
> takes some time to do complete system backups.
>
> My backup device is a SCSI 9track tape drive.
>
> My questions are:
>
> How much can each tape hold (2400 or 3600 feet), and how do I
The normal rule of thumb is a 2400' 1600bpi tape will hold 40Mbytes
when blocked at 32Kbytes/block.  140Meg is the figure at 6250.

You can figure it out if you know the lenght of a block in bytes
and the number of blocks written in a group.  The distance between
blocks on the tape is called the inter record gap and if memory
serves is 1/4 inches.

> Roger Otterson
> Information Systems Group
cheers