Formatting a factory hard disk on a 6300

Wilton Hart wiltonh at copper.SDP.TEK.COM
Thu Feb 2 14:44:41 AEST 1989

A friend asked me to help him fix his broken 6300.  It seems to have a bad
track zero on a factory installed hard disk.  This requires that the disk
be reformatted at the lowest level.  On most IBM PC machines the rom is located
in the C800 page.  After checking memory with debug I opened the machine.

The Hard disk controller is WD1002S-WX2 and has an empty socket where the ROM
should be.

1.  Does the low level format program come on disk for this machine?

2.  If not how do I get a copy of the ROM?

The Hard drive is a Olivetti XM5220/2.

3.  What are the drive parameters for this drive?
    Heads?
    Tracks?

I do not usually read this news group so Email would be the best way to contact
me.

Thanks in advance

Path     wiltonh at compdat.LA.tek.com        The work ethic is only for those
                                           who do not know about windsurfing.