set 7300 modem to auto-answer

Hans Jespersen hjespers at vpk4.UUCP
Sat Feb 11 01:16:32 AEST 1989

In article <604 at mccc.UUCP> shevett at mccc.UUCP (Dave Shevett) writes:
-In article <859 at ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM> kit at falstaf.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Kit Chow, x3039) writes:
->
->Can anyone tell me how I can set the internal modem on the 7300
->to auto-answer?
->
-
-The internal modem on the 7300 is controlled via the 'install' ua menu,
-under 'Administration', 'Hardware setup', 'Telephone setup' (menus in that
-order).  The kicker is you have to tell the system you have a phone line
-plugged into the second phone port, and you are using it for 'data'
-communications (even if you want to use it for voice calls occasionally).
-If you have the phone manager running, and make this change, you'll see the
-top line change from VOICE2: IDLE to DATA or something like that.  Log out
-and the system should happily start a getty (or uugetty) on the port.
-
Not neccessary. Configure the one and only line as VOICE. Then
use the 'phtoggle' command to toggle between DATA (auto-answer)
and VOICE mode. I use a cron job to toggle my machine into DATA
at 9:00 AM and back to VOICE at 5:00 PM. This way I can get
my usenet feed during the day while I'm at work, and still use
the phone for voice call when I'm at home (if a salesman calls
while I'm at work, let him eat carrier ;-).