make behavior?

Ann Sung sung at hp-lsd.HP.COM
Thu Feb 2 14:41:27 AEST 1989

I have recently experienced make behaviour which is, to my recollection,
inconsistant with make on other Unix System V machines.  Specifically, I
have trouble relatively referencing files from the make'ing directory.

A transcript of a session follows:
  $ cd /tmp/test
  $ cat Makefile
  test:
  	pwd
  	echo "test" > test.out
  	pwd
  $ make
  	pwd
  /tmp/test
  	echo "test" > test.out
  	pwd
  /tmp/test

The file test.out is created in my home directory, rather than in /tmp/test
as I expected.  Is this proper?  Is this consistant with various flavors of
Unix?  Is there an option to invoke or a substitution to perform which will
force make to behave more to my intuition?
Invoking make by (HOME=/tmp/test; make) seems to be a solution.

I am on a 3B1, Version 3.51 foundation set, Version 3.50 development pkg.

John R Ruckstuhl, Jr     Internet: "hp-lsd.hp.com!sphere!ruck"@hplabs.hp.com
University of Florida    UUCP: ...hplabs.hp.com!hp-lsd.hp.com!sphere!ruck