3b1 dissassembler patches

Howard E. Motteler motteler at umbc3.UMBC.EDU
Sun Feb 5 10:14:08 AEST 1989

In article <434 at polyof.UUCP> john at polyof.UUCP ( John Buck ) writes:
>In article <1636 at umbc3.UMBC.EDU>, alex at umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:
>>
>> 	I'm sending the latest patches for the 3b1 dissassembler to
>> comp.sources.misc...
>> 	do automatic lookup of shared library addresses, so that you can
>> dissassemble stipped files.
>> 	make "dis -lc(malloc.o)" work.
>> 	There is also a -k flag, that will attempt to resolve varoius kernal
>> addresses, includeing the u structure. unfortunely there are still problems
>> dealing with relocatable symbols, so this is of dubious value.
>> Alex Crain
>> Systems Programmer			alex at umbc3.umbc.edu
>> Univ Md Baltimore County		nerwin!alex at umbc3.umbc.edu (NEW DOMAIN)
>
>Distributing (or using) such a utility in the manner illustrated above
>sounds like a blatant violation of your UNIX PC license:
>
> [etc. etc. ... ]

This is utter nonsense.  You can do whatever you want with your
binaries, dissassemble, patch, reassemble, explore, munge, etc., *as
long as you don't re-distribute the results*.

Redistributing the binaries is obviously illegal; distributing a
straight dissassembly, or significant portions of a dissassembly, is
also.  However, distributing or discussing "principles of operations,"
techniques, etc., that you may discover by examining binaries is a
somewhat grey area.  Companies might not like you to do this, but
this is no longer any sort of copyright violation.

If a company managed to cover some algorithm as a "trade secret"
they might be able to make trouble if you disclosed it.

If the algorithm is patented, it's on file anyway, and you can
"disclose" it all you want.  You just can't *use* it in something you
are distributing.

Howard Motteler