Dram Prices...

Richard Griffith griff at intelob.intel.com
Tue Jan 10 02:12:13 AEST 1989

In article <18814 at agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-4fl at widow.berkeley.edu (Antony A. Courtney) writes:
>in (Article 6832 of misc.forsale) (mms%sordid at Sun.COM (Michael Silverstein))
>writes:
>>In article <7745 at lanl.gov> jxdl at lanl.gov (Jerry DeLapp) writes:
>>>*>
>>>*> Dumping is not a natural market force! It is a concerted and
>>>*> focused effort involving sale of a commodity at lower than true
>>>*> value for the specific purpose of eliminating competitors from the
>>>*> market. In the case of RAM, there was specific support by the

gee - sounds like a wholesaler... kinda :-)

>>So, the free market is fine until some one, other than ourselves, is
>>the winner. At that point, selling high quality merchandise at low

    yeah, nobody likes "losing" more than I do! :-) :-)

[ shortened up ]

>'Scuse me for saying so, but I think you are out of your mind.
>
>The Japanese Government was subsidizing Japanese companies to sell DRAMs way
>below cost.  As such, there was no possible way that US Companies could stay

Sounds like a few American farmers I know - let's see, Uncle Sam pays
farmer Brown if he doesn't raise too many pigs.  Ok - HEY! Unca' Sam -
I'm not raising pigs either! Pay me!

[ more shortened ...]

But seriously folks...
 No, the Japanese government should not have subsidized that market,
and I think that the American government should a) shut off all hi-tech
trade or b) force the Japanese government to accept free trade of all
agricultural goods.  At $10/orange, we could HALF their price and wipe
out all Japanese farmers within the month.

                                - griff

* Richard E. Griffith      *   "Someday soon we'll stop to ponder -      *
*    "griff"		   * 	What on Earth's this spell we're under?  *
* BiiN, Hillsboro Ore.	   *    We made the grade, but still we wonder - *
* (When are we getting	   *    Who the Hell we are?"                    *
*  Our own Usenet node?)   * 		    - Styx "Grand Illusion"      *