Looks like a bug in the 7300 disk driver

Leonard Sitongia sitongia at hao.ucar.edu
Wed Jan 11 13:02:01 AEST 1989

In article <513 at genesis.ATT.COM> andys at shlepper.ATT.COM (a.b.sherman) writes:
>In article <1360 at mtunb.ATT.COM> jcm at mtunb.UUCP (was-John McMillan) writes:
>>In article <813 at ttrde.UUCP> pfales at ttrde.UUCP (Peter Fales) writes:
>>>
>>>I have discovered what appears to be a bug in the hard disk device driver
>>>for the unix-pc.
>(R) UNIX is a registered trademark of AT&T
>>It's a FEATURE, not a bug.  Moreover, this feature will never be changed ;^}
>>

>It is *NOT* a feature it's a bug.  See below.

[ALSO DONNING SUPER HIGH-TECH FLAME RETARDANT NOMEX GEAR]
[hot stuff deleted]

Seems to me that having raw devices do I/O on 512-byte blocks is pretty
standard.  I've seen it in BSD and SYSTEM-V.  Seems to me that this is
just the way it is done.  P. Fales has now learned a convention.  What
is all this argument about?  The original question was indicative of
unawareness about this convention.  That's it.

[LEAVING FLAME RETARDANT GEAR ON FOR A WHILE]

-Leonard E. Sitongia    System Programmer		 (303) 497-1509
USPS Mail: High Altitude Observatory P.O. Box 3000 Boulder CO  80307
Internet:               sitongia at hao.ucar.edu
SPAN:			NSFGW::"hao.ucar.edu!sitongia"	[NSFGW=9580]