610 terminal keys gone flakey

Hans Jespersen hjespers at attcan.UUCP
Sat Jan 14 00:44:29 AEST 1989

In article <609 at whizz.uucp> bbh at whizz.uucp (Bud Hovell) writes:
>	1. When I backspace at the command-line, then enter another
>command over the old one and hit <Return>, I get something like the
>following:
>
>		$ cat                      [type in command 'cat']
>		$                          [now use <Backspace> to back up]
>		$ ls                       [type in the new command]
>		$ cat^H^H^Hls              [huh?]
>		$ cat^H^H^Hls: not found
Try adding this line to your .profile (for each user) or your /etc/profile
(for everyone).

              stty erase "^H" kill "^X" echoe echok

This will define the backspace key as your kill character. On most
System V machines (well AT&T anyway) the default kill character is
'#'. Before you add the new line try

              $ cat###ls

This should work the way you want it.