cu & 8 bits

Michael "Ford" Ditto ditto at cbmvax.UUCP
Sat Jan 14 09:47:58 AEST 1989

In article <1560 at umbc3.UMD.EDU> alex at umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Alex S. Crain) writes:
>	I use cu alot with the OBM to talk to my neighborhood VAX, and
>somewhere along the line I'm losing the 8th bit (probably to parity), so META
>doesent work :-(. Does anyone know how to get cu to talk 8bits No parity?

With the Unix PC's standard cu command, the ~%nostop command will enable
completely transparent 8-bit transmission.  I think this might have been
an unintentional feature, but it works for me.  Remember that ~%nostop
will, of course, also perform its documented function of turning off
XON/XOFF flow control.  This is probably what you want with emacs anyway.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford at kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto at cbmvax.commodore.com