lots of used 3B stuff available

Jon H. LaBadie jon at jonlab.UUCP
Wed Jan 18 15:15:53 AEST 1989

Steve and Len both recommend a used equipment supplier,
Computer Horizons (CH).  I agree, but with one caution.

We ordered 2 EPORTS cards from CH.  Absolutly NO PROBLEMS.
In fact, one of the cards, as CH told me when I ordered them
was unused, still in original package.  At what, about 30% of
list price; great.

The used card was missing a small mounting strap.  Detail
eludes me, the info was relayed to me by the installer.
This problem was easily circumvented; but for other equipment ????

The major potential problem was the software needed for the EPORTS
card.  The original packaging contained the EPORTS device drivers
on diskette.  I presume that if we had received two used cards, we
would not have received this diskette.  I was not aware of its
existance nor its requirement.  Had we already had an EPORTS card
installed, no problem; but we only had PORTS cards.

Don't get me wrong, this was a potential problem, not a realized one.
I am of the opinion that CH would have provided a solution.  As Len
or Steve indicated, CH personnel seem to be courteous, knowledgeable,
and helpful.  Simply as has often been said; CAVEAT EMPTOR!  I will
do business with CH again.  I will also ask many questions.

Jon LaBadie, Ph.D.
Staff Manager, Education Division
Cincinnati Bell Information Systems
{att, bcr, princeton}!jonlab!jon
{att, bcr, attmail}!auxnj!jon

#include "std.disclaim.h"

--
Jon LaBadie
{att, ulysses, princeton, bcr}!jonlab!jon