Looks like a bug in the 7300 disk driver

was-John McMillan jcm at mtunb.ATT.COM
Tue Jan 10 07:35:07 AEST 1989

In article <813 at ttrde.UUCP> pfales at ttrde.UUCP (Peter Fales) writes:

>I have discovered what appears to be a bug in the hard disk device driver
>for the unix-pc.
It's a FEATURE, not a bug.  Moreover, this feature will never be changed ;^}

Consider TAPE drives: in many systems, you can only communicate to the
drive in EVEN byte multiples -- unless things have changed in the last
twenty years since I've used a tape drive %v).  Is this an error?

In the UNIX-PC, the RAW -- read that "character-device" -- interface
to the disk directly maps transfers into user RAM.  Therefore, since
transfers to/from the disk are in 512 byte blocks, ya can only read
in 512-byte multiples.

In some other systems, boundary cases -- un-aligned first and last blocks
-- are read into kernel buffers and NOT into user-space.  This permits
Peter's anticipated results.

Finally (fat chance of this ;-):
1)	TSK-TSK -- users are NOT supposed to be accessing the RAW disk
	at all.  And if this is permitted... the special characteristics
	of the RAW driver have to be coped with!

2)	I believe I've seen this feature documented -- and isn't that
	enough to satisfy everyone?

3)	Lord[s], let us not descend into the hell of other groups that
	have wasted untold kilo-bucks thrashing unresolvable differences
	of opinion over system features -- not to mention address-to-index
	computations by name.

PS: I haven't pursued the above issue through the source code so the above
drivel may be the first flawed argument of my life -- oops, I meant HOUR.

jc mcmillan	-- att!mtunb!jcm	-- just frothing for myself, not THEM.