3B2 Floppy Drive

Pete Holsberg pjh at mccc.UUCP
Sun Jan 29 04:04:35 AEST 1989

In article <1037 at vsi.COM> friedl at vsi.COM (Stephen J. Friedl) writes:
=In article <581 at mccc.UUCP>, pjh at mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
=>
=> Is /dev/rdiskette on a 3B2/400 a 720K device, a 1.4M device, or a 1.2M device?
=
=
=Let's work it out:
=
=	80 tracks   9 blocks   2 tracks   512 bytes   737280 bytes
=	--------- * -------- * -------- * --------- = ------------
=	 drive       track     cylinder     block         drive
=
=
=So, it's 720k (but you only get to use 79 tracks...)
=

Thanks to Steve and everyone else who posted the answer to my poorly
phrased question.  What I was really after was information on the
technology of the media that can be used in 1 3B2 floppy drive.  There
was a discussion on comp.sys.ibm.pc about a year ago, but I've lost my
notes from that.

Anyway, to put things in context, my "question" was an attempt to make a
poster think about the answer to that question.  I already knew.

Pete

--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334