troff and HP laser printers

William Miskovetz misko at abhg.UUCP
Fri Jan 13 08:16:41 AEST 1989

In article <147 at conrad.UUCP>, sac at conrad.UUCP (Steven A. Conrad) writes:
> For the past year I've been using a DWB package on my UNIX-pc from Textware
> International, PO Box 14 Harvard Square Station, Cambridge MA 02238.
> For $600 I got ditroff, the HP Laserjet postprocessor (ditplus), eqn,
> tbl, grap, pic, PLUS a complete set of Times Roman-like and Helvetica-like
> fonts.  I've been very satisfied with it.  I've not had a chance to use
> the package from Elan, but from its product description is seems complete.

I also use Textware's troff but on my 6300 PLUS.  I am pleased with it
technically and with it's price, but I do have 1 major complaint.  I
bought it for my home machine and at the last job I had we also bought
it for a 3b2.  The product works, but for at least a year and a half I
have been hearing about how I will be getting documentation "next month".
So far I have not gotten any documentation.  I ended up buying a 3rd party
book on troff.  I would have been quite happy with copies of the AT&T
DWB documents, but even that I have not received.  I have called several
times (but not in the last few months) to ask about documentation and every
time I get "it is going to the printer next month".  The LaserJet
post-processor works quite well as does the troff, eqn, pic, etc, but the
lack of documentation makes it frustrating.

I also purchased Jetroff from PC Research and am quite pleased with it.  I
find myself using Jetroff more than Textware since Jetroff provides tools
to deal with any softfont (Textware currently only deals with a few) and
Jetroff provides a few nicer tools.  So, the stuff I got from Textware was
useful for troff, eqn, and the rest of DWB, but for the HP LaserJet post
processor, I like Jetroff.

Note I have no affiliation with either of these companies except to own both
their LaserJet postprocessors for troff.

Bill Miskovetz
{uunet!lll-winken, lll-lcc, pyramid}!abhg!misko
abhg!misko at lll-lcc.llnl.gov