Layers on Console

Kevin P. Kleinfelter kevin at msa3b.UUCP
Tue Jul 18 22:38:58 AEST 1989

I have an AT&T 630 terminal on evaluation from AT&T.  I am running layers
on a 3b2/700, so I can use the windowing of this terminal.  What I wanted
to do was to set up the terminal on /dev/console so that I can have the
console at my desk, without having console messages popping-up in the middle
of my editing sessons.  To do this, I'd like to have one window as
/dev/console.  However, whenever I start layers, if anyone issues
	echo "foo" > /dev/console

The message does not appear in any of my windows.  One way I see to do this is
to use the second-host option to have 2 physical lines to my 3b2, one of
which would be the physical console.  I don't want to do this, because I had
hoped to make this one physical terminal serve as the console for another
unix box as well (and console's really don't work well as "cu" connections.)

If there is someone who is familiar with the 630 who could help me with this,
or tell me why it can't be done, I'd appreciate it.
As an aside, the keyboard on this thing feels like oatmeal with BB's.  THe
keys mush down and then, near the bottom of the keystroke have a MAJOR
"tactile feedback."  Do I just have a demo model with an abused keyboard, or
are they all like this?
--
Kevin Kleinfelter @ Management Science America, Inc (404) 239-2347
gatech!nanovx!msa3b!kevin