Too much cross-posting? (Plus a call for help!)

David Klann dklann at heurikon.UUCP
Tue Jul 11 02:03:58 AEST 1989

In article <20239 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Bushwa!   I'll say it again: BUSHWA!
>
>Lest we forget: the UNIXPC *IS* an AT&T product.  Activity surrounding the
>UNIXPC has been growing by leaps and bounds during the past 18 months, far
>more so than with the 6300 family.  As an elected officer of the Northern
>California AT&T Computer Users' Group, I *SEE* the evidence.
>
>Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Thad pretty well summed up my feelings about this issue.  Those of us
with small disks (e.g. 20MB) cannot afford the luxury of having News
resident.  I get the chance to read unix-pc.* about twice a month.  If
the unix-pc stuff was not posted to comp.sys.att I (and many others)
would really be in the dark!

Speaking of which...  Here's a call for help!

Has anyone gotten a unix-pc to come up in single user mode WITH
windows?  Below is a list of the things I've done to my initialization
files/scripts:

	+ set initdefault to "s" in /etc/inittab:
	   is:s:initdefault
	+ converted /etc/inittab and rc to the System V.[23] style; that is,
	  there's an rc2 script and an rc2.d directory, an rc0 script, and
	  an rc0.d directory, etc. (The system no longer uses /etc/rc.),
	+ removed the shutdown stuff from /etc/profile,
	+ added a "sysinit" line to /etc/inittab that calls a script named
	  /etc/loadwind.  /etc/loadwind loads the window driver, the
	  keyboard driver (thanks Ford!), and the IPC driver.

The system boots, loads the drivers, the screen gets filled with little
green dots as normal, it displays the "% disk free" message (from
/etc/profile), sets up my SU prompt (from /.profile), and then ...
NOTHING!  I know it's in single user mode, but I can't access the
system at all.  It's as if stdin has been disconnected somewhere.

If anyone can help I sure would appreciate it.  I spent most of the (99
degree!) afternoon yesterday playing with this!  I'm really stumped.

When I get this all working, I'll post a detailed description of it to
the Net (comp.sys.att).

David Klann
Heurikon Corporation    608-271-8700
{backbone}!uwvax!heurikon!dklann