3b1 bugs: any workarounds?

michael at maui.cs.ucla.edu michael at maui.cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 26 10:03:50 AEST 1989

Does anyone have workarounds for the following bugs in 3.51a ?

#1. phtoggle will sometimes claim "An error occured opening the phone line"
if line 2 is data in use by the Async terminal emulator.

#2. ph will get confused about which phone line is in use--VOICE 1:IDLE
will be highlighted, but the phone is physically on line 2, and picking
up the phone does get a dial tone but does not get the ph window to
change at all. (But if line 1 rings, the indicator does change even
though the phone is silent.)
	Note: "phtoggle; sleep 5; phtoggle" will correct this, and
	I have this run hourly out of crontab, but this workaround
	creates bug #1 above. Any other workarounds?

#3. When line 2 is configured as the active voice line, it will complain
"Line 2 is not availible for dialing at this time" for no reason at all.
find / -atime 0 reports no files that can possibly be storing this info.

#1 can be solved by killing and restarting ph. (Not attractive).
Any other solutions to any of these?

Also, the phone manager refuses to sort my phone directory correctly;
about 10 names are out of place in the alphabetical list. Sorting
by any other field results in duplicates and missing entries.

Finally, does anyone know how to compress the .phdir files? Mine has
every entry I've ever made, including the deleted or modified
entries.

			Michael