Q: How to raise NBUF kernel parameter on PC7300?

Bill Carpenter wjc at ho5cad.ATT.COM
Thu Jul 6 02:57:21 AEST 1989

In article <271 at hal.UUCP> nez at hal.UUCP (Bill Nesbitt) writes:
: pages state that it's value can be anywhere from 25 up to system
: capacity; but, the highest value I've been able to bring it up to
: is 175.  The system currently has 3.5 MB of ram, yet the same limit
: was reached with only 2 MB.  I have a hard time believing that 175
: is as high as I can go with this much ram!  Any ideas?

I think the system capacity is an internal limit decided at kernel
compile time.  That is, there is a fixed amount of kernel memory
(decided by whoever built the kernel that everybody got).  ktune()
lets you fiddle with how some of that memory is used, but you can't
increase the total, regardless of how much physical memory you've got
on your system.

Sound right?
--
   Bill Carpenter         att!ho5cad!wjc  or  attmail!bill