cbreak mode and echo off

Thomas J. Pusateri pusateri at romeo.cs.duke.edu
Sat Jul 22 06:03:58 AEST 1989

I am somewhat confused about how to implement a non blocking read and
turn off character echoing under system V. I am writing an application
where I want to get a character without having to hit a carriage return
and I don't want that character echoed to the screen. I've looked at
the 3B15 ioctl and fcntl documentation but quite frankly it doesn't
suggest any way to do this. I know this is a common request so I was
wondering if anyone could give me any pointers. Thanks for any
information!

Tom Pusateri
National Biomedical Simulation Resource
Duke University Medical Center