3b1 Streaming Tape

Mark Dapoz mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP
Fri Jul 14 09:10:27 AEST 1989

In article <1120 at adds.newyork.NCR.COM> tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) writes:
>In article <1989Jul11.024334.28211 at hybrid.UUCP> Mark Dapoz writes:
>
>>I finally had to use the 3B1 streaming tape to restore a complete section of
>>my file system.  I've used it to restore single files before but for some
>
>...[stuff deleted]
>
>How is the performance of the streaming tape drive?

Pretty bad if you ask me.  Considering the damn thing only gets 23 MB of data
on a DC600A cartridge and you have to spend 30 min formatting the tape before
you can even use it, I'll take a standard QIC-24 unit over this thing any day.
I suppose it's better than backing up to floppies, but not by much.  The tape
utilities provided by AT&T also leave a lot to be desired.  As far as transfer
speed, I guess it's ok but it still takes over 30 min to backup 60 meg of data.

>How much does this thing go for?

Too much!!!!  I got mine as a package deal with the machine when I bought it
used.  I don't think anyone could seriously consider paying what AT&T wants
for the thing (something insane like $2000).

>I would love to own one, but it probably is too expensive!

Yep, you got that right.

>Just the thought of backups without zillions of floppies gives me
>the chills!

Have you considered adding a 3.5" drive to your machine?  It's rather simple to
add and will cut the number of floppies in half.

--
  Mark Dapoz  (mdapoz at hybrid.UUCP)  ...uunet!{mnetor,dptcdc}!hybrid!mdapoz

I remind you that humans are only a tiny minority in this galaxy.
	   -- Spock, "The Apple," stardate 3715.6.