Questions on adding a MS 3085 to a 7300.

CME Ned Nowotny ned at pebbles.cad.mcc.com
Sat Jul 1 09:37:09 AEST 1989

I have a Miniscribe 3085 (a 5-1/4" half-height "fixed" disk with 7
heads and 1170 cylinders) and can get a WD2010 disk controller chip.
However, I have a few questions.

First, I called the local electronic supply houses and at least one
responded to my query about the WD2010 with something like:

    "DO you want the PLO-5 or the ALO-5 version?"

While I do not clearly recall the version (part?) numbers given, they only
differed in the first character (A or P).  What, if any, differences are
there and which, if it matters, do I want?

Next, are there any hardware modifications necessary to upgrade to a WD2010
and to access all 1170 cylinders of my MS 3085 other than popping the old
WD1010 out of its socket and replacing it with the WD2010?

Finally, what if any software do I need to complete this transformation and
where can I get it?  In particular, I gather that I may need a modified
diagnostics disk to fully format the MS 3085.  Is this the case?  Is there
more to it than that?

Any and all helpful responses will be greatly appreciated.
(Others will be received somewhat less enthusiastically.)

Ned Nowotny, MCC CAD Program, Box 200195, Austin, TX  78720  Ph: (512) 338-3715
ARPA: ned at mcc.com                   UUCP: ...!cs.utexas.edu!milano!cadillac!ned