Cache disabling -- why a big deal?

Kurt Gollhardt kdg at nirvo.uucp
Thu Jul 27 14:27:44 AEST 1989

In article <2944 at cuuxb.ATT.COM> fmcgee at cuuxb.UUCP (Frank W. McGee) writes:
>I'm not an expert on the 82385, but I believe that it may be the case
>that it doesn't know that some areas of memory shouldn't be cached.

The 82385 has a (single) input pin which says "don't cache this address".
It is up to external circuitry - read: motherboard designer - to decode
the addresses which are not to be cached.  Unfortunately, this is not
usually done in a flexible way.
--
  #  Kurt Gollhardt                 Nirvonics, Inc. -- Plainfield, NJ  #