HELP! Installing 2nd Floppy Drive

steven.r.bodenstab srb at cbnewsc.ATT.COM
Sat Jul 29 03:59:05 AEST 1989

I was given a used Epson SD-680L 1.2MB 5-1/4" floppy drive that
I intend to install as the B: drive in a 80386 machine (AT&T
6386E WGS).  Unfortunately I have no instructions for it and
when I attempt to physically install it, the autodiagnostics
routines that run on power up fail to note its presence and,
when attempting to access the 1.44MB 3-1/2" A: drive both drives
go on.  Since all connectors seem to be compatible I believe the
problem to be related to the jumper settings on the drive.
There are four sets of jumpers on the drive board with current
settings as follows:

Pin Set SS1:	3  O  O		Pin Set SS3:	D  MH

		2  O--O				O  O

		1  O  O				O  O

		0  O  O				O  O

						S  ML

Pin Set SS5:	RC  O		Pin Set SS6:	O--O  S1

		    O				O--O  S2

		DC  O				O  O  S3

If anyone can tell me the proper jumper settings for the
installation of this drive as outlined above, or can offer any
other insight into the solution of this problem, I would be
eternally grateful.

--

Steven R. Bodenstab			UUCP:	...!att!homxb!srb
AT&T Bell Laboratories				...!homxb.ATT.COM!srb