Newcomer to the PC7300 Group !!

Steven A. Conrad sac at conrad.UUCP
Tue Jul 4 06:06:12 AEST 1989

In article <321 at albanycs.Albany.Edu> vijay at albanycs.Albany.Edu (Vijay Vaidyanathan) writes:

>... The "7300 Owners manual" didnt seem to want to tell me
>how to get out to the good ol' "$" prompt !!

If you are configured as an expert user, then "Unix System" should be
a choice in your office.  You can also get a full-screen unix choice
as well.  Write me for details.

>Well, I (finally!)got rid of that awful inteface and then began to realize
>that all I could do was "ls" and "mail". I mean, what good's a "$"
>without a "cc" ????

I don't know how you got rid of the interface, but you should have access
to the full unix system.  Let me know how you disabled it.  Although many
will disagree, I don't think the interface is that awful.  I use it to
control multiple processes/logins in different windows via multiple
invocations of "Full-Screen Unix" and "Other users" choices.  Very little
performance problems with 2M/67M.

You may not have 'cc', unless you obtained the development set.  The
foundation system does not come with development utilities (which includes
cc, as, ld, the libraries, lex, yacc, sdb, vi, etc.). Sounds like you need
more manuals as well.

>	5. Just about any other info/advice you may have for
>	a firsttimer onthe 7300. Anything. Will be much appreciated.

I don't have all answers for 1 through 4, but there is a unix-pc newsgroup
on the net, which includes unix-pc.sources.  A lot of software has been
distributed for this machine.  The GNU software is available as well.  I
have a listing of the UNIX-pc sites if you are interested.

--
Steven A. Conrad,  Department of Medicine (Critical Care)
Louisiana State University Medical Center, Shreveport, LA
UUCP: sac at conrad.UUCP,   Internet: conrad at manta.pha.pa.us