3b1 Streaming Tape

Lenny Tropiano lenny at icus.islp.ny.us
Mon Jul 17 12:29:39 AEST 1989

In article <1120 at adds.newyork.NCR.COM> tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz)
writes:

|>How is the performance of the streaming tape drive?
Very slow ... and only 23MB per tape... a big waste since I'm using the
same DC600A tapes for my 135MB tape drive on my 6386E WGS in the office.

|>How much does this thing go for?

Too much ...  They are anywhere from $1,300 to $1,800 bucks ... I have
a controller board for a tape drive but no drive itself.  The driver
mechanism is made by Cipher, it's the Model 525.   I haven't really
looked too hard, but I'm sure I can get a Cipher Model 525 tape drive
somewhere ...

Just recently AT&T replaced a customers tape drive with a Tecmar tape
mechanism.  I'm unsure of the model, anyone know of a Tecmar tape
drive that is compatible with the floppy-tape controller for the 3B1?

|>I would love to own one, but it probably is too expensive!

So would I ... but it is too expensive!

-Lenny
--
Lenny Tropiano             ICUS Software Systems         [w] +1 (516) 589-7930
lenny at icus.islp.ny.us      Telex; 154232428 ICUS         [h] +1 (516) 968-8576