What does one get into when buying a Unix PC?

John L. Grzesiak jlg at odicon.UUCP
Sun Jul 2 05:46:16 AEST 1989

In article <614 at becker.UUCP>, bdb at becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
> In article <2677 at cveg.uucp> f0057 at uafhp.uucp (James E. Ward) writes:
>
> |I have been a user on a Unix system for several years, and I once had an
> |IBM PC/AT with a Xenix partition.  I set it up and administered it, allowed
> |buds to dial-up and login.  Have I much more or less to accomplish with this
> |machine?
>
> 	window-based utilities which make maintenance
> 	easier (in most cases), and the O/S is certainly
> 	better than Xenix. It is real, full-featured
        ^^^^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^ !!!
> 	Unix with some extensions peculiar to the machine
> 	like the windows and support for the built-in modem
> 	and phone dialer.

	Yes, It is a real (Albeit CONVERGENT enhanced) UNIX , but a value
	judgement should not be attached here. This form of prejudice had
	me disliking Xenix for many years (And I had never even used it!)
	Xenix itself is not bad, and has developed over the years to be
	a real good operating system. To argue the relative merits of one
	system over another we must have many questions answered, and even
	then, we are prone to prejudice and emotionalism, since most of us
	don't like to remember what is different between the two. (At least
	I don't) If we keep to facts, we allow others to make their own value
	judgements and thus allow them a chance to be truly satisfied with
	their own choices.

			Hopefully , not taken as preachy,
			but, If so, so be it.
						-- John --

    + John L Grzesiak         | "Genius is the output of        +
    + 47 Spring Street        |   a mind twisted beyond         +
    + Wallingford Ct 06492    |    normal recognition"          +
    + !yale!spock!odicon!jlg  | Omega Dynamics - Wallingford Ct +