Help with 3B1 2nd drive. Update

Steve Wampler sbw at naucse.UUCP
Sat Jun 10 14:27:23 AEST 1989

I'd like to thank all the people who have tried to help bring
up the 2nd drive, and give a status report.

1. It's not the CDC drive.  If I switch it with the internal drive
	(and make the appropriate jumper/terminating register
	changes) I can use it (all 80+MB, so the WD2010 and P5.1
	upgrades work), and cannot reach the 2nd drive (the one
	that was the original.

2. Since I could get it to work that way, I built a file system
	on it holding the foundation set, then switched them
	back.  Since it's been formatted and has a file system
	on it (presumably in /dev/fp012, no?), I should just
	be able to mount it as the 2nd drive.  However, mount
	gives back a "Cannot open /dev/fp012" command (the
	light on the drive *does* come on just before this).
	One interesting thing is that, between the "Cannot open"
	and the "/dev/fp012", it sounds as though the heads
	on the internal drive (drive 1) are being moved all the
	way in (or out).

3. Since I'm doing this now through unix, I consulted unix.log
	and found several entries of the form:

HDERR  ST:51  EF:10 CL:FF00 CH:FF00 SN:FF00 SC:FF02 SDH:FF28 DMACNT:FFFF
DCRREF:90 MCRREG:8500 (and then the date)

Is any of this informative?  I assume the EF:10 is the response 10 I've
been seeing using the diagnostic disk.  I haven't tried the suggestions
that John Milton made yet, as I'm not sure which end of a soldering gun
to use, and my normal hardware support is out of town for three weeks,
but if anyone has other suggestions, I'd appreciate them...

By the way, what happens if I run the system with only 1 drive connected,
without a termination resistor in the disk bus?  (cables in place).
Switching those resistors around is a pain, especially on the CDC drive,
so I'd just as soon find a configuration I can stay with during this
testing.

Also, Gil mentioned that 7300 won't take a WD2010 (old data separator).
I don't have a 7300, but I do have a fairly old 3B1 (case is marked
11-6-85) and the motherboard had a jumper in place from pin 3 of 13K to
pin 2 of 13N.  I assume I'm alright (given I can format the CDC with
1072 cylinders and 9 heads/tracks).

Thanks again!
--
	Steve Wampler