6386 shutdown: I CAN'T BELIEVE at&t was really this stupid!

Pat Barron pat at orac.pgh.pa.us
Mon Jun 19 04:49:06 AEST 1989

In article <8714 at chinet.chi.il.us> kdb at chinet.chi.il.us (Karl Botts) writes:
>Incidentally, it is not possible for the reboot command itself (when it
>is available as a sfotware command) to automatically sync the system,
>because there are times when you _must_ reboot the system without
>syncing, i.e., after rebuilding the free list with fsck.

Well, that's easy enough to fix.  In 4.3BSD, "reboot" and "halt" are
implemented as system calls, and they *do* automatically sync the
disks by default.  However, you can pass them an option which tells
them not to do the sync.

--Pat.
--
Pat Barron
Internet:  pat at orac.pgh.pa.us  - or -   orac!pat at gateway.sei.cmu.edu
UUCP:  ...!uunet!apexepa!sei!orac!pat  - or -  ...!pitt!darth!orac!pat