yet again Re: crontab Daemon-from-Hell

Thad P Floryan thad at cup.portal.com
Sat Jun 17 16:43:05 AEST 1989

Both Karl Botts and Robert Granvin bring up good points.  And, yes, the issue
of uudemon.day deleting files IS getting tedious.

HOWEVER:  I've been reading this newsgroup for 2 years and have archived
nearly everything, and not once before has the matter of files disappearing
at 4AM daily been brought up (to my recollection.)

My original posting served to alert people to that fact of Unix life, and
I received over 20 emails thanking me for the posting.

>From my displays at the West Coast Computer Faire, discussions in the local
UNIXPC SIG of the AT&T Users' Group, and from other chance meetings of fellow
UNIXPC'ers, it's clear to me that MOST owners/users of UNIXPC systems are
simply not aware of such things being done TO them (by the crontab scripts and
whatever else.)

If one had the $$$ for a formal UNIX education, I'm sure the $2,000/week
classes that one attended informed YOU of these "problems."  But the main
reason I bought my UNIXPC (in 1987) was to teach myself UNIX for LESS than
the cost of a single class, and have the hardware as an added benefit.

I've used over 50 different computer systems in the 25+ years I've been
involved with computing, and can pick up on a "new" system quickly; I now
consider myself moderately proficient with UNIX, and learn more daily by
teaching/helping others with their systems.  The UNIX credo of "build upon
the work of others" is something I practice and teach.  A forum such as this
one is one in which we all help each other.

The tone of yet another posting suggested "cut out the crap" and deal with
only the technical issues.  I disagree.  New readers are always entering
this forum.

My $.02 ...

Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]