compiler chokes on 1986th #define

Jim Shankland jas at ernie.Berkeley.EDU
Thu May 4 03:27:31 AEST 1989

In article <1710 at currant.bbn.com> ceide at bbn.com (Chantal Eide) writes:

>When compiling a file with a large number of '#define's on our AT&T3B2
>machine I encountered the following error message:
>
>too much defining

This error message adds the insult of a rather scolding tone (as though
"defining" were a bad habit in which you are overindulging) to the injury
of refusing to compile your source file.  The problem is a static buffer
in cpp (30000 bytes, if I recall correctly).  Quadruple the size of the
buffer, recompile cpp, and you're all set.

What's that?  You don't have the source to cpp?  You can:

	* try to remove some defines from your program;
	* try to hack up some way to run cpp iteratively over your program,
		expanding some of the defines each time;
	* port GNU's cpp to your 3B2;
	* file a bug report with AT&T;
	* buy a different computer.

None of these options should be sounding very attractive to you.

This business of small, static buffers in the days of virtual memory
is a blight on various UNIX implementations; in my experience, AT&T is
one of the worst offenders.

Jim Shankland
jas at ernie.berkeley.edu

"Blame it on the lies that killed us, blame it on the truth that ran us down"