Gyyn's directory stuff on UnixPC

Guy Harris guy at auspex.auspex.com
Wed May 3 18:10:49 AEST 1989

 >|>/usr/include and /usr/include/sys, and then compile the source.  The
 >|>resulting .o files are run through ranlib.  (We didn't have ranlib on the
 >|>3b1, so I just skipped this step.)  Next, I used ar to "tack" the .o files
 >
 >Instead of "ranlib" use this:

Does not the UNIX PC have an S5-style "ar"?  Does not that flavor of "ar"
have "ranlib" built into it, so that the "table of contents" gets
rebuilt whenever you update the archive?  (It certainly did as of S5R2,
but that doesn't necessarily mean the UNIX PC has it - S5R2 had a
4.xBSD-derived archive format, but S5"R1" had a different format, so
maybe the table-of-contents stuff appeared later; I don't think it did,
but I no longer have S5"R1" source handy to check.)