386 console & color

Leslie Mikesell les at chinet.chi.il.us
Wed May 10 08:29:10 AEST 1989

In article <1619 at neoucom.UUCP> wtm at neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>I believe that ansi escape code processing is built into the
>console driver.  Try sending:  \033[44;37;1m
>That should give you bright white on a blue background.   Send the
>string, then do a clear to paint the attribute over the whole
>screen.  I am reasonably sure this works on the console driver on
>the 6386.  I tried it on the Xenix system sitting next to me and it
>works.  Of course, the \033 is the meta representation for the
>escape character.

Thanks, but what I get is white characters on a blue background for
each character that is printed.  Clearing the screen makes it black
and the ends of lines past the printed characters are black.  Is
an error in the handling of background color or is that part "undefined"?
BTW, SVr3.2 has color built into terminfo so the codes can be
generated with "tput setb n" where n is a digit.  If it weren't for the
problem of non-displayed areas I would just modify the terminfo entry
to make screen initialization set the color I want.

Les Mikesell