fsck & 3b1 continuous power up

Andrew Poling ecf_hap at jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU
Wed May 10 13:40:05 AEST 1989

In article <1084 at adds.newyork.NCR.COM> tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) writes:
[...]
>It is because of this boot-up loop problem that I am afraid to let it
>run unattended.  I have visions of a power outage, then this berserk
>computer trying in vain to reboot itself!
>
>Any Comments??

I've heard a solution to this that is so simple I had to share it.

Simply place a formatted floppy with the VERBOSE loader on it in the drive
and close the drive door.  When the power comes back up, it gets stuck
asking you which disk to boot from.

Of course there's always the "sacrificial Diagnostic Floppy" ;-)

Andy

Andy Poling						andy at gollum.hcf.jhu.edu
Network Services Group					ecf_hap at jhunix.UUCP
Homewood Academic Computing				ECF_HAP at JHUVMS.BITNET
Johns Hopkins University