fsck & 3b1 continuous power up

David Klann dklann at heurikon.UUCP
Thu May 11 06:17:41 AEST 1989

In article <1084 at adds.newyork.NCR.COM> tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM (Tanya Katz) writes:

>   [ Discussion about /etc/rc running fsck... ]
>
>Any Comments??
>
>Tanya

Tanya (and others),

I leave my 7300 on full time (with the exception of week-long vacations,
etc.).  I have removed the call to fsck from my /etc/rc.  To me, it is
silly to run fsck like that when booting.  To get around file system
problems I simply run fsck from the command line.  I have yet (over a
year) to find any major problems.

It's too bad the UNIXpc kernel doesn't have/make use of the s_state field in
the super-block.  That would increase the certainty about the state of
the root file system when booting.  I'd love to set the file system
state to "FsOKAY" as the last thing before shutting the system down.  In
fact I think I'll look into that very thing.  That's it!  All we need is
a pair of utilities, one to set it, and a version of fsstat to check it.
I'll post them if/when they're working...

Comments?  Flames?

David Klann
Heurikon Corporation
{backbone}!uwvax!heurikon!dklann