Fans and keyboards

Bill Mayhew wtm at neoucom.UUCP
Sat May 13 07:04:20 AEST 1989

1.  My 3b1, impulse, loses her brains when the keyboard is
unplugged.  No amount of typing, furious or otherwise will restore
sanity until the black button is pressed.  I do run the keyswap
installable driver to swap the ctrl and the capslock keys, though I
doubt that matters.

2.  My Newark book doesn't have dBA figures for MBI Technologies
Boxer HiFi fans.  Here are some that you might want to consider
from other manufacturers:

Comair Rotron Sprint	ST12A3	12V	34 CFM	33 dBA
	3.15 * 1.26 inches

Pamotor Series 8100	8112G	12V	35 CFM	40 dBA
	3.13 * 1.5 inches

Pamotor Series 8500	8500DP	115VAC	36 CFM	39 dBA
	3.13 * 1.5 inches

I don't know how much clearance there is in between the grille and
the back of the power supply.  I didn't consider any fans more than
1.5 inches thick.

I can give an endorsement to Panasonic Industrial Co. fans.  There
is a Panaflo 12 volt fan in this AT where I am typing this article.
This machine has been switched on continuously since April 21,
1986*.  DC fans are not intrinsically unreliable.  The Panaflo fan
is very quiet; probably around 30 dBA.  The air vent in the room
is louder than the the fan.  The fans that are in the Unix PCs seem
to be of unknown origin; there is no manufacturer's label on the
fan that came in my 3b1 .. the original fan also looked poorly
constructed.  The miniscribe disk drive in my 3b1 makes a lot more
noise than the fan anyway.  This AT also has a Rodime 45 megabyte
3.5 disk with an access time of 25 mS.  The Rodime drive is quiet
enough that it is difficult to tell if it is running or not.  The
Rodime has been running for a little over a year now and has stayed
quiet.

*except for several short interruptions for vaccuming out the
machine and adding an extra network connection board and Rodime
drive to replace the orignial 20 meg unit.

Bill

Bill
wtm at impulse.UUCP