Reattach inode to lost&found / what file is it?

Tanya Katz tanya at adds.newyork.NCR.COM
Thu May 18 23:29:39 AEST 1989

After fsck reattaches a file to directory lost&found,
it names it with the inode.  Is there a nice neat way
of determining what file this was originally?

Usually I use 'file' to learn more about it, then
try to deduce from the type or contents, what it is.

But if it's an object file, I usually search the string
table (if it has one) or the symbol table, to try to
figure out what it is...

Isn't there a more sophistocated method to identify
an object?

	Tanya

    ###   ######  ######   #####       Tanya Katz       (516) 231-5400 x430
  #     # #     # #     #  #####       ncrlnk!adds!tanya
  ####### #     # #     #       #      tanya.katz at adds.newyork.ncr.com

  Applied Digital Data Systems, Inc.   100 Marcus Blvd., Hauppauge, NY 11788