7300 and 9600 baud modems

Jonathan Bayer jbayer at ispi.UUCP
Mon Nov 27 01:03:22 AEST 1989

wtm at neoucom.UUCP (Bill Mayhew) writes:

>In article <1841 at neoucom.UUCP>, I write:
>In the sentence above, "Unix C," should read, "Unix PC".  The P key
>on my 3b1 was sticking and dropping the letter P here and there.
>That one escaped my detection as I was typing.

>I took off the keycap on the P and doused the key post with
>alcohol.  The weird thing is that the Unix PC keyboard is
>ferromagnetic sensing (like core memory), and as long as the button
>goes down, everything should work OK.  It appeared that the key

Sometimes there is some dirt that prevents the button from going down
all the way.  It doesn't take that much distance (less than a
millimeter) to prevent the magnetic sensing from working.  By dousing it
with alcohol you probably washed the dirt away.

JB
--
Jonathan Bayer		Intelligent Software Products, Inc.
(201) 245-5922		500 Oakwood Ave.