3B2 nodemane showing up as unix?

Admin root at attctc.Dallas.TX.US
Sat Nov 25 03:36:53 AEST 1989

In article <937 at kcdev.UUCP>, gentry at kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) writes:
> In article <27 at dynasys.UUCP>, jessea at dynasys.UUCP ( Sysadmin.) writes:
> > I am working on putting a 3B2 on the net and I'm having a problem.  I've used
> > the sysadmsh (I think that's what it is called - it's the menu system for the
> > sysadmin anyway) and I've change the system name to "sysname", for example.
> > When I log on as a user, "sysname" is displayed.  But when I send mail from
> > that system to my own system, the return address is "unix!jessea".  This means
> > that I can't reply correctly because my system doesn't know site "unix".  What
>
> The sysadm menu *should* have worked fine.  Try this:
>
>    uname -S {insert system name here}

    One other possibility exists if the uname -S does not work. It is

possible that in some prior admins "attention" to detail, that unix was

hard-coded into the file /etc/master.d/kernel. The utsname default is unix

but enclosed in double-quotes(shown below) and if the double quotes are

removed, the name unix is then hard-coded.

                                                      Charlie

(from /etc/master.d/kernel)
*#ident	@(#)kernel	1.1.2.8
*
* KERNEL
[deleted portion]
SYS ="unix"
NODE ="unix"
REL  = "3.2.1"
VER  = "3"

*
* The following entries form the tunable parameter table.
*