7300 and 9600 baud modems

Rick Kimball rick at kimbal.lynn.ma.us
Fri Nov 24 01:47:19 AEST 1989

>From article <3311 at convex.UUCP>, by dale at convex.com (Dale Lancaster):
>
> I am evaluating 9600 baud modems to attach to the serial
> port on my 7300 for terminal emulation.  I currently
> have a Microcom QX/12K I am using on loan and it seems to me
> that I am not getting 9600 baud throughput even though all
> the status indicators say such.  Can I assume that the 7300
> can (using cu) keep up with 9600 baud on the serial line?
> I would think any decent computer including my Apple IIE
> could handle this.

I read somewhere that cu can only handle about 2400 baud.  One way to
verify it would be to connect a null modem cable between the two
serial ports on your machine and do some timing tests using cu.

I've got one of my serial ports hardwired to a Macintosh. Using my
own terminal program on the Mac I can get about 18K baud zmodem
transfers.

How about using pcomm instead?  It does a nice vt100 emulation
and supports all the popular transfer protocols.

Rick Kimball              INTERNET: rick at kimbal.lynn.ma.us
                              UUCP: ...!spdcc!kimbal!rick, ...!spt!kimbal!rick
Personal USENET Site          POTS: (617) 599-8864