Virtual terminals on the 6386E

Netnews Administrator fmcgee at cuuxb.ATT.COM
Fri Nov 24 15:01:41 AEST 1989

In article <1989Nov20.233805.13722 at csustan.CSUStan.Edu> robert at csustan.CSUStan.Edu (Robert Zeff) writes:
>We are currently using Link MC5 terminals with an AT&T 63856E.  We would like
>to use virtual terminals with our Links.  Does anyone know how to do this
>with non-AT&T terminals?
>thanks,

Normally, this sort of feature is implemented through a special device
driver.  For instance, with the AT&T 5620 and 630 terminals this is
done through the xt/layers device driver.  On the 386 console, this is
done through features implmented in the console driver (kd).

Some ports card manufacturers (for AT-bus machines) offer this sort of
feature with their driver software; I know Consensys does, and I
believe some of the Bell Technologies cards do as well.  AT&T does not
provide that kind of functionality with any of the AT&T IPC cards
(although you can use the 630 or 5620 to get virtual terminal
features remotely off of an IPC 802/900/1600).

Another alternative is shell layers, and it's documented in the manual
page on shl in section 1 of the User's Manual.  Basically it provides
a simple way to run multiple sh sessions on any ascii terminal.  I
don't know if it will be suitable for your needs though, or work with
your applications.

Hope this answers your question,

--
Frank McGee, AT&T